B&K Structures is an energetic company at the forefront of timber and steelwork engineering in the UK. We are looking for a Design Office Manager who can manage internal and external design teams to achieve project goals. You should be keen to understand the priorities of the business and plan resources effectively. You will need to be able to communicate with a wide range of different people with confidence.
Key Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Leading in-house design teams and communicating with external consultants to resource design work.
- Ensuring structural drawings and designs are produced on time, to a high quality.
- Acting as the Line Manager for internal structural engineers.
- Liaising with other departments within the company and understanding the pressures on other areas of the business when allocating resources.
- Carrying out an active role in the Commercial management of the business, in support of the Estimating/Contracts/Commercial teams.
- Ensuring that the company QA procedures are followed within the design department and assisting in the development of design management procedures.
- Reporting on the status of internal and external design work packages.
- Working closely with the Technical Manager to make strategic decisions about the design department.
- Representing the company at meetings in a confident and professional manner.
Skills, experience and attributes required:
- Experience of and being comfortable with managing teams of technical staff.
- An appreciation and understanding of the role of structural design within the construction industry. Ideally this would be through a background in engineering design or design management.
- The ability to negotiate with colleagues and external parties to achieve mutually beneficial outcomes.
- The ability to multitask, organise workflow and respond quickly to new challenges.
- The ability to work to strict deadlines, ensure delivery to agreed programme and commercial constraints.
- The initiative and confidence to follow up on deliverables where required.
- Naturally capable of using Excel, Word and Outlook and ideally resource management software.
- Good interpersonal, communication and organisational skills.
- The ability to understand and motivate team members with different personalities.
- The drive to learn and to seek support where needed.