Title: Tekla Detailer/Draughtsperson
Reporting to: Drawing Office Manager
Salary: Negotiable D.O.E.
About B&K Hybrid Solutions
B&K Hybrid Solutions is an innovative company, specialising in the design and delivery of structural steel and timber-steel hybrid projects. Part of one of the most recognised businesses within the industry, Bowmer and Kirkland, BKHS work closely alongside key partners and clients to bring the capabilities of both hybrid and traditional steel superstructures to the mass market, assisting with innovative and sustainable schemes. Supported by our state-of-the-art steel manufacturing facility, we are committed to helping clients cut cost, programme time, and carbon emissions, through innovative hybrid solutions.
BKHS’ aim is to bring the exponential capabilities of hybrid structures to the forefront of modern construction. Our robust supply chain has afforded us extensive experience with a vast portfolio of engineered products, including Structural Steelwork, Cross Laminated Timber, Timber Cassette Systems, and Glulam. In-house supply, supported by our advanced manufacturing facility, provides increased efficiency, quality, and assurance to new and existing clients. Our expert team of designers, draughtsman and project managers can offer complete design and build solutions, from concept to completion.
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced draughtsperson to join our Drawing Office team to actively work on hybrid steel and timber projects, commercial & industrial construction projects, design & build portal frames and multi-story/complex structures. As a detailer you will be part of the project team working closely with the Contracts team & project engineer, reporting to the Drawing Office Manager. Hybrid working available.
Key responsibilities will be to produce a 3D model using Tekla Structures, create general arrangement drawings, raising RFI’s directly to a client, detailing connections and producing fabrication packs in preparation for these to be issued to the Production Department. You will also need to liaise with the purchasing department for preliminary material call offs.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5 years’ experience using Tekla Structures as well as an understanding of steel fabrication. Applicants should be enthusiastic, proactive and have a willingness to develop and learn alongside the growth of the business.
Key Skills, Experience & Attributes
- Minimum 5 years’ experience using Tekla Structures (3D)
- Experience within the Structural Steel industry and general detailing practices is required
- High attention to detail and accuracy at all times
- Experience of detailing timber glulam and CLT would be an advantage but not fundamental to the role, training can be provided
- Experience using AutoCAD (2D) is desired but not fundamental to the role
- Good understanding and ability to operate Microsoft office software (Word/Excel/Outlook)
- Ability to work to programmes whilst maintaining a confident approach to working under pressure
- Good communication skills, you will be liaising with the project team, in-house design engineers, consultant engineers and architects. Able to communicate effectively with clients and key stakeholders to ensure all relevant details are indicated.
- Good punctuality, pro-active approach, and good presentation skills
- Ambition to progress their career to understand new methods of construction within the supply chain of B&K Hybrid Solutions
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Using Tekla to model structures from engineer’s design calculations and arrangement drawings
- Adding connections as detailed in the engineers’ calculations
- Produce and manage the distribution of general arrangement drawings from preliminary to as built status
- Producing information packs for fabrication including assembly drawings, CAM data and material lists
- Raise and manage technical queries, ensuring all project requirements are fulfilled
- Produce lotting and phasing plans
- Create marking plans, siteworks (As Required) to suit programme requirements
- Ensure the Drawing Office project documents are kept up to date (drawing register, RFI tracker)
- To aid the project QS and/or Contracts Coordinator with variations as and when required
- Read and understand structural engineers’ and architect’s general arrangement drawings, design reports & specifications
- Engage with the project sub-contractors to obtain key project information (Client, Architect and Engineers)
- Work both on your own and at times within a small team on larger projects
- Develop/maintain a good understanding of detailing structural steelwork
- Attend meetings with external design teams
- Develop/Maintain an understanding of the current regulations and codes