Title: Tekla Detailer/Draughtsperson
Reporting to: Drawing Office Team Leader
About B&K Hybrid Solutions
B&K Hybrid Solutions is an innovative company, specialising in the design and delivery of structural steel and timber-steel hybrid projects. Part of one of the most recognised businesses within the industry, Bowmer and Kirkland, BKHS work closely alongside key partners and clients to bring the capabilities of both hybrid and traditional steel superstructures to the mass market, assisting with innovative and sustainable schemes. Supported by our state-of-the-art steel manufacturing facility, we are committed to helping clients cut cost, programme time, and carbon emissions, through innovative hybrid solutions.
BKHS’ aim is to bring the exponential capabilities of hybrid structures to the forefront of modern construction. Our robust supply chain has afforded us extensive experience with a vast portfolio of engineered products, including Structural Steelwork, Cross Laminated Timber, Timber Cassette Systems, and Glulam. In-house supply, supported by our advanced manufacturing facility, provides increased efficiency, quality, and assurance to new and existing clients. Our expert team of designers, draughtsman and project managers are able to offer complete design and build solutions, from concept to completion.
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced Draughtsperson to join our Drawing Office team to actively work on commercial/industrial construction projects, ranging from Design & Build portal framed buildings to multi-story frames and complex structures. You will carry out the detailing of a project from producing the wire frame model for preliminary material lists, creating general arrangement drawings, detailing of connections and creation of the fabrication packs, in preparation for these to be issued to the Production Department.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 3 years’ experience within the structural steel industry. Applicants should be enthusiastic, proactive and have a willingness to develop and learn alongside the growth of the business.
Key Skills, Experience & Attributes
- Minimum 2-3 years’ experience in detailing of structural steelwork
- Experience with Tekla Structures (3D)
- Experience using AutoCAD (2D) is desired but not fundamental to the role
- Good understanding and ability to operate Microsoft office software (Word/Excel/Outlook)
- Ability to work to tight programmes and confident working under pressure
- Good communication skills, in order to speak directly with our in-house design team, client engineers and architects directly. Able to communicate effectively with clients and key stakeholders to ensure all relevant details are indicated.
- Good punctuality, pro-active approach and good presentation skills
- Ambition to progress their career to understand new methods of construction within the supply chain of B&K Structures
- Full UK driving licence
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with our Contract teams to raise technical queries and ensuring all project requirements are fulfilled
- To provide assistance to the project QS and/or Contracts Coordinator with variations as and when required
- Read and understand structural engineers’ and architect’s general arrangement drawings, design reports & specifications
- Engage with the project sub-contractors to obtain key project information
- Work both on your own and at times within a small team on larger projects
- Maintain a good understanding of detailing structural steelwork
- Attend meetings with external design teams
- Have an understanding of the current regulations and codes